Friday, March 17, 2017

UMBRELLAS

Spending most of my life in the states, I can’t say that I’ve owned more than two umbrellas my entire time there. 

Generally, in the rain, I was simply running out to my car or from it. I’m sure many folks used them, but not me. Here in Japan, everyone has them, and uses them, way more than I ever saw in the states. In the short time, I’ve been living in Japan I’ve already owned more umbrellas than I did in all my previous life time!

They are so common here, when it rains, many vendors push out their “umbrella sales displays” on wheels, out by the front door where can quickly attract customers. The going rate for a basic umbrella is 500 Yen (about $5), but I’ve seen them as low as 200 Yen.

Get 'em while the getting is good!
Most businesses, malls, department stores, eateries, have an umbrella rack near the entrance where you can safely leave your wet gear at the door. Some have “umbrella baggies” available. Plastic bags, on a tear off display, that you insert your wet umbrella into, so as not to get the floors wet.

Leave it at the door - or wrap it up and take it with you
Here in Japan it is not unusual to go through a number of umbrellas per season. Often, you get caught in a rain squall without your umbrella. Worse, during the typhoon season, having your umbrella blown inside out is another reason for multiple purchases.



Note: As noted in the past, Blogger does not allow me to use the Yen symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment