Thursday, March 16, 2017

BICYCLES

Bike Parking Lot
In Japan bicycles are a very popular means of transportation. Bikes are used for everything from going to work to shopping, and occasionally even for exercise. They are used by all, children, men, and women (I think there may be a slight lead by women).

Biking is so popular there are large parking lots designated just for them. It is not unusual to see multi-tiered bike racks, usually with two racks high but I’ve seen them with up to three tiers.

Two tiered bike parking
The majority of bikes I’ve seen also have baskets for your shopping needs. Another addition are child seats, quite often there are two, making seating for an adult with two young children.
Decked out with motor, child seat, basket, and windbreak
A common sight are electric motor assisted bicycles. To be legal, the bike must have pedals and cannot be capable of running on its own power.

To save costs, many businesses, such as Denny's or KFC, use bicycles for deliveries.

Denny's, with home delivery!

Sidewalk bike lane marker
It is legal to ride on the sidewalk but they are required to give way to pedestrians; but in reality, its each for their own…PEDESTRIANS BEWARE! 

It is also illegal to ride a bicycle with headphones on.

By far, most bikers actually use the sidewalk instead of the road (I’ve yet to see a “bike lane” on the road). Though the vast majority of bikes I’ve seen have ringer bells, it is very rare to hear. The only bike lane I’ve seen to date is on a sidewalk. Because of this I’ve had many instances where I was just a step away from being slammed by an overtaking two-wheeled vehicle moving silently past me. My money is that these encounters probably have a fair share of actual collisions. 

Between silent, sneaky bicycles coming up behind me or car drivers bent on getting pedestrian points I'm not sure where my betting money should be, but, I fear them both!




(Update posted 22 March) Since posting this item I’ve researched for actual laws. I was unable to find an English site with the “official” laws. I did find quite a few sites stating that they listed “actual laws”, so, taking items that are listed on multiple sites, here is what I found (quite often very different from the experienced reality):
  • It is NOT allowed to ride bicycles on the sidewalk unless there is a sign indicating it is a shared sidewalk
  • It is illegal to ride while carrying an umbrella, or talk on a telephone
  • All bikes are required to have a bell and a headlamp
  • Always give way to pedestrians
  • All bicycles must be registered with the prefectural police
  • A helmet is optional
  • It is illegal to ride tandem (except in Nagano prefecture)
  • Cyclist may carry one child under the age of six in a designated child seat



See earlier posts for more on the topic of bicycles: Saturday, January 14, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment